-THE SKINNERS-

Wednesday, April 23, 2008

Dane's newest trick....

Oh my gosh!!!
I know that Dane is turning ONE in only a couple of days but I really don't know if he will make it to see his first birthday. I picked Ryan up from school today and we ran to get something to eat and then quickly went to the store before I dropped him back off at school. I knew I had a lot of groceries to get up to our apartment but knew I would be able to get them in one or two trips to the car.
I got Dane out of the car and grabbed half of the groceries and then walked up the flight of stairs to our apartment. Dane LOVES going outside and books it for the door anytime it is opened so I kicked a ball past him to distract him as I snuck back out of the house and shut the door tight behind me. As I was getting the rest of the groceries from the trunk I was wondering what Dane was doing at that moment (he gets in my cupboards, pulls on cords at the computer until the mouse falls down so he can click all of the buttons, and he climbs on top of the ottoman, recliner, and couch). I hurried and knew he didn't have much time to do too much damage in the 30 seconds that I was gone. I was about half way up our CONCRETE stairs with my hands full of bags containing milk and watermellons when I glanced up. The door is wide open (I didn't even know he could reach), Dane is standing at the top of the stairs, his arms are waving frantically, he starts giggling, and gets the look of "catch me Mom!!" in his eye and I thought I was going to have a heart attack. I knew I couldn't drop the bags because of what was in them so I just start yelling "NO Dane, NO, NO!" I made it to the top of the stairs and put down the milk as I grabbed his arm.
I can't trust that kid to just sit there and play with a ball or blocks like other kids I know. Dane is a real-life Dennis the Menace!! I really do hope that we get to celebrate his birthday on Saturday!

Sorry, needed to vent since Ryan is in class and can't answer his phone.

13 comments:

XO said...

That is the scariest thing ever! I've been so paranoid here at my parent's house with their wood stairs, he loves climbing up them and, well, what comes up must come down. Concrete is much more terrifying though! Looks like you'll have to get one of those child-proof covers for the door knobs! I hope we never have to do that, because then I'd be trapped in my house, I can't get them open for the life of me.

Ashley Gaskell said...

welcome to the club!! yay, another kid that is just as crazy as rylee!! she seriously makes me nervous sometimes....and addy looks like she is going to be the same way..what am i going to do!!?? the other day i brought them downstairs after baths and went into the kitchen for like 2 min..... yeah, i heard a big thump and then addy screaming and more thumping. she had crawled to the top of the stairs and was falling down them. i swear that girl is not going to live much longer!!!

Andrew and Sara said...

Carlie---Welcome to my world. I'm glad to know that its not just my kid that is getting into trouble all the time. Just wait till he turns two....it gets even crazier.

A New Life Student said...

How funny is your little guy! I have a nephew who is the same way. It's amazing how much kids know and how fast they are. I am sure glad he is okay and so are your groceries! He is too cute!

Becky said...

that is freaky. i think i would have had a heart attack. i think your reacion was good. thank goodness dane is suh an obedient little boy. glad to know he is still alive and well.

Kirsten said...

Yikes! No wonder heart disease is the leading cause of death in women! It is because our kids make our hearts jump into our throats and stop beating on such a regular basis! These little boys, I tell you...

Criscell said...

Oh how scary, Carlie! I've definitely had some moments like that with Caysja too! These kids...it's amazing that we BOTH survive, eh?

Anonymous said...

so this is what i have to look forward to...naughty little boys!!!

Frei Family said...

OH MY GOSH!!! Scary!! That little boy is going to be crazy!! You cant leave him for a second!! hmmm... I dont know if i can be neighbors with someone who doesnt watch her child.....

Carlie and Ryan Skinner said...

sara-
i was hoping that now that we are going to be neighbors you could watch him...?..

Mands Glenn said...

I thought Lilly was the only kid that pulled at computer cords, snuck outside, and did Dennis the Menice type stuff. I love that he was waving his arms like he was playing a game. Such a funny story, but totally scary too.

KeiserFamily said...

Car i swear we could switch boys and (other than looks) we wouldn't know a difference! its so fun hearing all your stories cause i usually have one pretty similar. Brig is SO snoopy and can't stand not being able to figure things out.. basically if he sees us do something he HAS to do it!! man its crazy some days but so fun!

Sam, Kim and E-Z said...

Scary!!! Heart attack anyone??

Lilypie 3rd Birthday Ticker
Lilypie 1st Birthday Ticker